Conwil Gaio or Cynwyl Caio, Carmarthenshire
Conwil-Gaio or Cynwyl-Caio, a parish in Carmarthenshire, on the Sam-Helen Way, and on a headstream of the river Towy, 7 1/2 miles NW of Llandovery, and contains the village of Caio. It has a post office (Caio) under Llanwrda (R.S.O.); money order office, Pumpsaint; telegraph office, Llangadock. Acreage, 26,187; population, 1803. Mines yielding gold were worked here by the Romans. Many tumuli and other ancient remains are on hills, and in the valleys; remains of an aqueduct lead to the places of the old mines; remains of the Sara-Helen Way are seen; and Roman bricks, inscriptions, torques, and coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Llansawel, in the diocese of St David's; joint net value, £170. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 2701. There are Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational, and Baptist chapels.